Elevating Co-teaching with Universal Design for Learning, Revised and Expanded Edition
$34 (ISBN: 9781930583986)
$34 (ISBN: 9781930583993)
About the Book
In this revised and expanded edition, Elizabeth Stein delivers a new structure, additional strategies, updated research, and fine-tuned language to show how best to apply the Universal Design for Learning (UDL) principles and guidelines to co-teaching.
Co-teaching—the practice of having special education and regular education teachers work together in inclusive classrooms—is a powerful way to ensure that all students have equal access to academic content. The inclusive framework of UDL offers co-teachers structure and guidance in pursuing their goal to create successful learning environments for all students.
How does UDL inform the lesson-planning process? What does UDL look like in the classroom? How do you get buy-in for the UDL approach from administrators, parents, and students themselves? These and other questions are answered in this must-have book for anyone interested in co-teaching.
Interested in learning more? Download a PDF of the Foreword by co-teaching expert Marilyn Friend.
Elevating Co-teaching with Universal Design For Learning, Revised and Expanded by Elizabeth Stein is available in paperback ($34, 242 pages, ISBN: 9781930583986) and EPUB ($34, ISBN: 9781930583993) format.
About the Author
Elizabeth Stein, EdD, has been a special education teacher, instructional coach, and educational consultant for more than 30 years, specializing in universal design for learning (UDL), and co-taught inclusive practices. She is an adjunct professor at Stony Brook University, New York. Elizabeth is a renewed National Board Certified Teacher (NBCT) in literacy and the author of Two Teachers in the Room: Strategies for Co-teaching Success (Routledge, 2017) and other publications. You can follow Elizabeth on T witter at @ElizabethLStein.
Table of Contents
- Foreword by Marilyn Friend (View as PDF)
- Introduction: Embracing the Co-teaching Experience
- PART 1: It Starts With YOU! Getting Grounded With Four Key Ideas
- Chapter 1: Embracing Context and Learner Variability
- Chapter 2: Cultivating Expert Learners and a Growth Mindset
- Chapter 3: Exercising Flexibility as a Means of Addressing Variability
- Chapter 4: Applying Multiple Structures: A Review of Co-teaching Considerations and Six Models
- PART 2: In the Classroom: Partnering with your co-teacher and students and Students
- Chapter 5: Getting to Know Our Students
- Chapter 6: Planning Powerful Instruction
- Chapter 7: Empowering Students as UDL Partners
- Chapter 8: Creative Structures: Making Space for Strategic Learning
- Chapter 9: More Strategies and Structures to Promote Learner Expertise
- PART 3: In the School: Partnering with Administrators, Community, and Caregivers
- Chapter 10: Elevating Partnerships With Administrators
- Chapter 11: Never Stop Elevating! Reflections and Next Steps
More from CAST Publishing
In the third edition of UDL Now!, Katie Novak provides practical insights and savvy strategies for helping all learners succeed in a post-pandemic world using the principles of Universal Design for Learning (UDL).
Whether you’re already familiar with UDL but haven’t had the time to think through implementation strategies or are brand new to UDL, this great resource will enrich your practice and reach more learners.
In this lively and fun book, UDL experts Allison Posey and Katie Novak identify elements of what they call “The Unlearning Cycle” and challenge educators to think again about what, how, and why they teach.
A. Posey & K. Novak